Green Machine Smoothie with Spinach, Grapes & Apple
Thank you to Carolyn from Cookin’ for my Captain for graciously allowing us to post this green smoothie recipe. She provides much more than just smoothies, so take a minute and visit her site.
Of course, the spinach in this smoothie is providing the biggest green punch and therefore deserves a little more exposition on why it so good for you. Here are 5 Great reasons to include spinach in your diet and your smoothie.
- Loaded with Flavonoids – Flavonoids protect the body from free radicals and act as an anti-cancer substance.
- Nutrient-Dense Food – Spinach is low in calories, but packed with vitamins, mineral and phytonutrients.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties – Conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, asthma and migraine headaches may be helped because of the nutrients found in this dark green leafy vegetable.
- Gastrointestinal health – The beta-carotene and vitamin C in Spinach protect your colon from the effects of those bad free radicals.
- Keeps Your Brain Young – Studies have show that leafy greens, such as Spinach may slow the decline in brain function.
Enough knowledge, let’s get to the recipe! Want to try other spinach smoothie recipes?
- 3 cups frozen green grapes (stems removed)
- 1 cup baby spinach (packed well)
- 1 granny smith apple (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 12 ounces apple juice
In a blender, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Serves 4. Source for recipe.
- Calories: 112
- Fat: .4g
- Carbs: 28.3g
- Fiber: 2.0g
- Sugars: 25.2g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Vitamin A: 16%
- Vitamin C: 71%
- Calcium: 3%
- Iron: 4%
- Very low in saturated fat
- No cholesterol
- Very low in sodium
- Very high in manganese
- High in vitamin A
- Very high in vitamin C