Being a proud American and a red-blooded smoothie lover I am very excited to post this smoothie. It boasts the color of the USA and provides a healthy does of nutrition while doing so. I’m not sure there is an official name for this smoothie, but I would be okay for the July Fourth Smoothie or the Independence Day Smoothie, no offense Will Smith and Bill Pullman.
To achieve the colors red, white and blue this smoothie will use strawberries and raspberries for the red color. Blueberries and acai juice for the blue color (use less acai and more blueberry if you want a more true blue) and bananas and almond milk for the the white color. If you are counting at home, this qualifies as a strawberry, blueberry, banana, acai smoothie.
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberries or raspberries or a nice mix of the two.
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 4 ice cubes
- 2 bananas (slice before freezing for blending ease)
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 4 ice cubes
- coconut shavings (optional)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup acai juice
- 2 ice cubes
Garnish: fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries and coconut shavings (optional)
- Get you glasses nice and cold by putting them in the freezer first.
- Prepare the red layer in your blender; store in freezer until you need it.
- Blend the ingredients for the blue layer next; store in a container and place in freezer.
- Blend the white layer, but be sure to clean the blender well first.
- For a frothier and lighter white layer try adding more ice.
- You are almost done, your friends and family will love this.
- Remove the red and blue mixture from your storage freezer and don’t forget the glasses that have been chilling as well.
- Pour the red smoothie mix in the glass to about 1/3 the height (try to keep all four glasses even).
- Now the secret, place a slice of strawberry on top of the red layer to help keep it separate from the blue layer above.
- Pour the blue smoothie mixture so it fills up the next 1/3 of the glass and then add a few blueberries to act as a barrier for the white layer. Almost done.
- Now you can spoon or pour the white smoothie mix until it fills to the top of each glass.
- You are done except for the strawberry (or raspberry) and blueberry garnish. Tada!
Since the white layer is the lightest, place it on top and since the red layer will be the heaviest, place it on the bottom. Trust me.
Serving size is about 4 smoothies